While looking through one of my favorite Test Taking resources, Excite Me! Motivate Me! Test Me! by Sandra Robinson, I came across another great idea. I couldn’t wait to find a treasure chest! Here’s a fun way to share a few basic test taking tips with your students:
What you’ll need:
- A treasure chest (I was just about to order one from Oriental Trading before a co-worker had one she didn’t need anymore!)
- A pencil- This reminds students to have a #2 pencil.
- A clock- This reminds students to use their time wisely.
- Cake mix- This reminds students to follow the directions.
- A pillow- This is to remind the students to get a good night’s rest.
- Glasses- These remind the students to keep their eyes on their own papers.
- Checkers- These remind the students to check over their work.
- Cereal- This reminds the students to eat a good breakfast.
- A hanger- This reminds the students not to give up – just “hang” in there!
I was able to find just about everything on the list. I couldn’t find a small enough pillow, so I purchased a small piece of felt and some pillow filling and made it myself by sealing the edges with stitch witchery. I found a small checkers game and the glasses at the Dollar Tree. I purchased a variety pack of cereal so the box would be small enough, and I found a small Jiffy Cake Mix. The hanger came in a set of baby hangers from the Dollar Tree also, and the small clock I found at Walmart. I grabbed an extra pencil from a drawer, and I was set!
I can’t wait to use this as I begin working with my students on test taking tips.